To ensure maximum safety and performance of your diving equipment, here are some things to consider when selecting a diving board for your pool.
Diving boards come in a wide range of shapes, styles and with varying degrees of flex or spring. Boards and stands are defined in three distinct ways, according to their level of flex:
- Jump Boards – a flexible board on a base that utilizes a spring mechanism.
- Diving Boards – a flexible board on a rigid base.
- Jump Platform – a rigid board on a rigid base.
The type of combination you may have on your pool is limited by the size of pool’s diving envelope.
The pool industry association has authored a safety standard that outlines which types of board and stand combinations (listed above) are appropriate for pools, based on the size of the pool’s diving envelope. Residential pools can be defined as a Type 0 through a Type V. Public pools can be defined up through a Type IX. A pool type is determined by a series of depth measurements at different spots in the pool. We have a set of professional tools that can aid you in measuring and typing your pool.
New, Replacement, or Retrofit?
While all of our diving boards can be installed on new pools, provided they meet safety standards, we also have a couple of options for replacement diving boards.
- To retrofit a diving board to an existing pool, you can drill holes in the deck and use one of our epoxy kits for jig installation.
- Replace an existing diving board with something new. A wide variety of our boards and stands utilize the same jig, so upgrading your stand and board combination is simple.
All of our diving boards are available in beautiful designer colors to match your backyard décor, even colors to complement your pool slide or powder coated or SealedSteel rails. Environmental corrosives can affect the way your pool looks too. S.R.Smith uses only stainless steel hardware and also has a variety of stands with minimal exposed metal that will perform well in challenging pool environments.
Popular S.R.Smith Diving Boards
- The Fibre-Dive board has a durable acrylic outer body (skin), a non-slip sanded tread and is pre-drilled with two holes. It has a hand-laid fiberglass and resin roving over twin laminated wood runner acting as the board’s skeletal frame. This board is for light to moderate duty use.
- The Frontier III has a durable acrylic outer body (skin) and a non-slip sanded tread and is pre-drilled with two holes. It features hand-laid fiberglass and resin roving over a solid laminated wood runner acting as the board’s skeletal frame. This board is for moderate to heavy duty use.
- Glas-Hide features a solid, edge to edge laminated wood core, heavily reinforced by fiberglass and covered on the top with smooth acrylic. It provides the same non-slip sanded tread as the other boards and is pre-drilled with two holes. The underside of all Glas-Hide boards is covered and protected with special laminating resins and is smooth to the touch as opposed to the rough fiberglass underside of the other two boards. This board is for moderate to heavy duty use.